Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Apolitical


I'm doing this post because I vaguely realise that I'd like to look back later and read what the now-present,then-past me would have to say about it.
Today,my city goes to vote.The streets are empty.The shops are closed.And everybody has a say.
Today,there are no multiplexes and standalones,no fibre-glass windowed shiny cars and no crowded slow public buses.There are no high profile lounges and cafes that deny entry to a certain class.Today,there is no class.
Everybody is a person today.A person with an opinion.An opinion that counts.
I fantasize,that 10 years later,if I'm successful in my pursuits,when I'll have a job I desire,they'll call it The Historic Elections of 2011,when the utopian cry for change triumphed over the leftist tradition in Bengal.And Bengal breathed in a new freedom from the Leftist stronghold.In freedom that they did not know what to do with.In freedom,or that is atleast,what they thought.
The silence in the streets today,is the calm before a storm.It is that of the resigned calf that has accepted its sorry fate-it is to be sacrifice.And for what?
This is revolution for the sake of it.
Change-the catchphrase,done to death by the lady in the white saree with the green border.Abused.Stripped,to suit a party's selfish motives of rising to power.
Change,the candy thrust at the "people" they so worship,to lure them,to lull them into an anaesthetised state of blissful submission.
Dear Future Me,I am still very apolitical.And ashamed.I haven't been able to grasp the dynamics of politics yet.More so,that of a country like mine.Yes,I am unworthy in my ignorance.Perhaps,it will take me a little more time to cure the 17 years of oblivion that I've lived through apathy.But I'm a step closer to forming my political identity.I am not Rightist.
And also,in my humble attempt at understanding politics and studying it a little more.I shall watch "Gulaal" now,to mark this occasion.
=]
Yours,
The wide-eyed child.

No comments:

Post a Comment